President of Alverno College
Dr. Mary J. Meehan is the seventh president and first lay president of Alverno College, an independent, Catholic, women’s liberal arts college located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Prior to coming to Wisconsin in 2004, Mary served as the executive vice president of Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey. Mary began her career in healthcare as a rehabilitation counselor, and ended as the president of a hospital in New York. Mary has her bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees from Seton Hall University, and a master’s in health policy and management from New York Medical College. Mary serves on numerous national and local educational and health care related boards and committees, and has been honored with numerous awards.
In the Milwaukee community, Meehan serves on the boards of Froedtert Health, Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Service, and chairs the Board of Sacred Heart School of Theology. As a Greater Milwaukee Committee member, she serves on the Talent Dividend Higher Education Council and the All-Zone Council. Meehan also chaired the Milwaukee Public Museum Recovery Committee, served on MATC’s President’s Advisory Council, Grand Avenue Club, and co-chaired the Greater Milwaukee Committee Health Care Policy Task Force and the Well City Initiative.
On a state and national level, Meehan currently serves on the boards of:
- Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities– Vice President
- Georgian Court University in New Jersey
- Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- NCAA – Chancellors/Presidents Advisory Group
- Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities –Chair
- Women’s College Coalition