Commencement ceremonies are held twice each year in May and December.
August degree candidates may participate in the May or December ceremony. January degree candidates participate in the December ceremony.
The commencement ceremony date is not the same as the date the degree is earned. Edgewood College awards degrees and posts them to student transcripts three times each year on January 10, May 25, and August 25.
For further information regarding eligibility or degree requirements, please contact the Registrar's Office at (608) 663-3256.
Make sure the Registrar’s Office knows what your intended graduation date is at least one year before. You can do this in several ways:
- Indicate your intended graduation date on your "Declaration of Major’.
- Notify the Registrar’s Office (Room 212 DeRicci Hall) either in person or in writing of your intended graduation date.
Declaration of Major. All undergraduate degree-seeking students should have filed a "Declaration of Major’ form by the time they have earned 60 credits (i.e., achieved Junior standing). If you have not filed this form, an evaluation of your credits toward graduation cannot be completed. Filing the Declaration of Major form ensures that the Registrar’s Office can conduct this evaluation in a timely manner and notify you of any requirements that have not yet been met.
Application for Degree Form for Undergraduates and Application for Degree Form for Graduate Students. This form MUST be completed before you will be approved for graduation, and can be obtained from the Edgewood Central, Room 210 DeRicci. The deadline for submission of the Application for Degree is:
- January Graduation: September 15
- May Graduation: February 1
- August Graduation: May 1
Note: If you do not complete your degree during the semester indicated on your Application for Degree, you should file a new form as soon as possible.
Human Issues Requirement
(Applies only to Undergraduate students under the old Gen Ed). Avoid problems by following the Human Issues Program guidelines and deadlines. Statements of Intent are due two semesters prior to the final semester. The concluding report is due one semester prior to the final semester. Students who do not meet the Human Issues deadlines may be required to graduate at a later date if the project cannot be reviewed in time due to late submission.
Transferring Courses During Final Term
On some occasions, students may be attending an institution other than Edgewood during their final term. If official transcripts from the transferring institution are not received by the degree posting date, the degree will be posted on the following degree posting date. These dates are: January 10, May 25 and August 25.
(Undergraduate students only). The calculation for graduation honors includes the GPA for all transferred credits as well as the Edgewood GPA. (The Edgewood GPA is based only on credits earned at Edgewood). This calculation is performed in the Registrar’s Office approximately two weeks prior to Commencement. A student’s final term of attendance is then included in the calculation for graduation honors after final grades are turned in.
Eligibility Requirement for Graduation Honors: Minimum of 60 credits earned at Edgewood for Bachelor’s Degree.
- Summa cum laude - 3.90 or above combined GPA
- Magna cum laude - 3.70 or above combined GPA
- Cum laude - 3.50 or above combined GPA
Note: Graduation honors is based on the final GPA of the transferred credits and Edgewood credits. It is different from the semester honors calculation or graduation from the Honors program.
Make sure you check your total credits periodically so that you know you will have earned the required amount by graduation time.
- Associate Degree: 60 credits
- Bachelor Degree: 120 credits
- Bachelor /Nursing 128 credits
- Masters in Accountancy - 30 credits
- Master in Business Administration - 36-42 credits
- Masters in Education, Nursing, & Religious Studies - 33 credits
- Masters in Marriage & Family Therapy - 48 credits
- Masters in Organizational Development - 30 credits
- Doctor of Education - 54 credits
Again, make sure you are aware of your GPA and what is required for graduation:
- Associate and Bachelor degrees require a minimum 2.00 to graduate.
- Masters and Doctoral degrees require a minimum 3.00 to graduate
Note: Some academic departments have major or minor GPA requirements that are different from the graduation GPA requirement.