Accounts Payable/Student Service Specialist
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
This dynamic opportunity directly impacts many areas of the College campus. The Accounts Payable Specialist provides support to several functions within the Business Office. These functions include accounts payable, customer service and cash receipting. The Student Service Specialist directly impacts student service and is the first point of contact for Financial Aid, Registration, and Student Accounts. Both positions require analyzing accounts and providing counseling to students, parents, faculty, staff or vendors to resolve both simple and complex questions with only minimal supervisory guidance. It is also responsible for managing voicemail, email correspondence, updating forms and coordinating mass communications to students, staff and vendors. Special projects or annual activities such as assistance with tax reporting and file destruction.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE SPECIALIST ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Review all invoices for appropriate back up documentation and budget officer approval and adhearance to college policies and procedures.
- Accurate entry of invoices.
- Set up of vendor information and continual review including correct vendor remittance address.
- Process weekly accounts payable check batch and check processing.
- Monitor outstanding vendor invoices/credit memos by reviewing vendor statements and communicating with vendors.
- Review all vendors to ensure accurate W-9 on file.
- Scan and index W-9s in Feith document storage system.
- Review monthly credit card statements for appropriate back up documentation, budget officer approval and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Maintain accounts payable records and files including oversight on filing of invoices.
- Review all accounts payable entries for 1099 MISC reporting and for International Travel for 990 reporting.
- Perform Cash receipting and cash handling.
- Assist faculty and staff with questions concerning outstanding invoices, payments issued and budget charges.
- Point of contact for faculty, staff, students concerning questions on accounting and student billing.
- Explain policies and procedures.
- Provide welcoming environment to students, parents, faculty and staff.
- Participate in process improvement initiatives.
- Perform other duties as requested, delegated or assigned.
EDGEWOOD CENTRAL ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Counsel students one-on-one in order to identify financing options and assist with questions involving financial aid, registration, and student billing via phone, email or in person. Partner with college colleagues to resolve student issues as needed.
- Monitor email accounts and voice mail boxes numerous times per day to address all inquiries in a timely manner.
- Has authority to implement and review changes and make exceptions to students’ records including adjusting late fees and resolving problems on student account billing statements and financial transactions.
- Research and analyze current processes and continuously improve services to students in all areas represented by Edgewood Central. In addition, provides metrics in order to measure the success of student satisfaction.
- Manage the distribution of financial aid awards both via paper and electronically including organizing and creating associated materials.
- Coordinate and facilitate mass communication and outreach via email, text, and automated caller to students with missing information/documents or for deadline reminders.
Data and Form Management
- Process a variety of forms related to students’ registration, billing and financial aid while being cognizant of all deadlines to ensure that transactions are processed correctly
- Update Edgewood Central forms at least annually with close attention to detail.
- Verify enrollments and degrees for outside agencies & loan deferments.
- Partner with student employees on the document imaging process for Edgewood Central which includes developing systematic review to ensure accuracy.
- Adhere to all FERPA (Family Education and Privacy Act) regulations in all job aspects.
- Perform independent special projects and provide assistance for day-to-day processing in Edgewood Central when needed.
- Keep up to date with college, departmental and professional (federal and state) changes in the field.
Work Schedule/Pay Range
This is a full time position with hours typically from 8am - 4:30pm Monday-Friday. Salary commensurate with experience and within the approximate range of $16.50-$18.00/hour.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or three years of administrative work experience required
- Data entry experience in financial software
- At least 2 years of experience in customer service with the ability to react to customers quickly, accurately, and compassionately
- Student financial aid, registration, student accounts receivable experience preferred
- Preference for a bilingual candidate with the ability to write and speak in Spanish proficiently
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Multicultural Competence – the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and make independent decisions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Ability to adapt to and welcome interruptions in a positive and friendly manner
Required Technology Skills:
- Overall Proficient skill-level in Microsoft Office, which includes: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and basic computer concepts
- Experience with Powerfaids and Jenzabar J1 Desktop and J1 Web is preferred
- Knowledge of InfoMaker preferred
- Knowledge of SharePoint preferred
- Willingness and ability to learn new software
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
- Regularly required to sit
- Regularly move from counter to assist customers
- Regularly required to use keying skills, visual requirements associated with keying data, often detailed and numeric
- Have the ability to interpret and respond to printed documentation
- Have the ability to communicate effectively on the telephone
- Adapt to the noise level in the work environment that is normal office conversation
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources –APSS
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer