Custodial Professional (Third Shift)
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Edgewood College is seeking a Custodial Professional. This position reports directly to the Shift Supervisor and performs a variety of manual tasks and duties in support of building services provided by the Facilities Department, including residence halls.
Successful candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in an educational and work environment and must be willing to contribute to the College’s strategic plan of inclusion.
Primary duties include interior cleaning and some exterior cleaning including, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintain all types of flooring and stairways. This may include sweeping, mopping, dusting, vacuuming.
- Semi-annually striping and waxing of vinyl tile floors, bonnet shampoo and extract carpeting, and deep clean ceramic tile and grouting as needed.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms including all fixtures and partitions.
- Clean and maintain a variety of college buildings including residence halls, offices, classrooms, meeting rooms and common areas. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning windows, walls, furniture, technical equipment, laboratory equipment and appliances.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment as needed.
- Perform incidental building maintenance tasks, such as replacing light bulbs.
- Snow removal which may require the use of machines.
- Empty wastebaskets and recycle containers.
- Assist with event set ups as needed.
- Care for equipment and supplies.
- Maintain an inventory and requisition of supplies.
- Collection of litter and debris.
Depending upon individual skill, work may include:
- Laundering of College owned linens and rags, and maintain linen inventory and supplies when necessary.
- Driving company fleet vehicles as needed.
- Routine servicing of cleaning equipment.
- Installation of dispensers, and hardware.
- Basic repairs to furniture and college property.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Work-related experiences in one or more of the above areas.
- Experience cleaning schools and/or dormitories a plus.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Skill to operate basic cleaning equipment.
- Problem solving skills and sound judgment.
- Some mechanical aptitude.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Ability to maintain schedules and records as needed to perform tasks.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
- Ability to maintain a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the department and the campus community.
- Ability to work effectively individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups.
- Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing and to take instructions from either. Express ideas effectively.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORTS
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks, such as operating dangerous equipment or working with chemicals
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or working for more than four hours per day
Required Technology Skills:
- Overall Proficient skill-level in Microsoft Office, which includes: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and basic computer concepts.
- Knowledge of SharePoint is a plus.
- Willingness and ability to learn new software.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a letter of application, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – CUSP
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer