Disability and Accessibility Advisor
Description of Job
- Collaborates with students to identify barriers to full participation in the curricular and co-curricular environments and determine appropriate accommodations.
- Coordinates the granting of reasonable accommodations in consultation with students, faculty, and staff.
- Reviews, collects, and maintains disability documentation presented by students as a tool in assessing access and planning individual strategies.
- Maintains appropriate records by documenting communication involving students and the recommended courses of action or accommodations for students using the Maxient database.
- Oversees acquisition and implementation of adaptive technology on campus.
- Collaborates with, consults with, and provides outreach to, other campus officials, faculty, and staff on matters related to students with disabilities and the services provided (including Universal Design techniques). Educates the College community about disability-related issues and resources.
- Provides consultation, information, resources and referral to prospective families, students with disabilities, and College faculty and staff.
- Participates actively in the continuing development of services, programs, and activities.
- Hire, train, and supervise staff, including graduate assistant(s), student worker(s), and test proctor(s).
- Coordinate the testing center functions.
- Attend departmental staff meetings as scheduled.
- Implement and follow-through on retention initiatives as directed.
- Provide appropriate referrals to campus resources when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Participate in continuous professional development around disability-related issues and best practices in higher education disability and accessibility programs.
- Represents the Division of Student Development on institutional committees, task forces, and groups. Also serves on Student Development division-wide committees.
- Serves as member of the Student Development staff attending meetings and retreats
- Participates in campus events as a department and division representative.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Master's Degree in student affairs, college student personnel, learning disabilities, special education, rehabilitation counseling or a related field.
- 1-3 years experience working with, and providing reasonable accommodations for, students with physical, psychological, and learning disabilities in a higher education setting, or commensurate experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of models of disability and inclusive educational design, and their application in higher education.
- Knowledge of the application of federal and state laws that provide for an accessible higher education experience for students with disabilities.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a team setting and on an individual basis.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences in learning.
- Skill in fostering independent learning in students.
Specialized Technology Skills:
- Knowledge of assistive technology and alternative media.
- Overall proficient skill-level in Microsoft Office, which includes: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and basic computer concepts
- Willingness and ability to learn new software
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - DBAA
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer