Instructional Designer (Contractor)
Description of Job
Partnering with faculty members and members of the Online Team at Edgewood College, the contract instructional designer designs, develops, implements, and evaluates online courses using sound instructional design practices employing multimedia, video, audio, and other emerging technologies. The instructional designer participates in the review and redesign cycle of existing courses/programs and in creating faculty development tutorials.
In coordination with the Course Development Manager, the Lead Instructional Designer, and the Director of Online Learning, the Contract Instructional Designer works with faculty and other subject matter experts, to develop online courses and to provide technical and pedagogical support related to course development to faculty and to the instructional design team.
The Contract Instructional Designer promotes innovative approaches to learning improvement and curriculum design, and has a strong background in applying best practices for adult learners to online course design at the college level.This is an Independent Contractor position, so there are no benefits provided by the College.
- Collaboratively assist faculty, program directors, and other subject matter experts to design and produce online or blended courses, course components, and/or faculty development training materials.
- Participate as needed in regularly scheduled curriculum development team meetings.
- Implement and advocate for Edgewood College’s online institutional guidelines and Standards (e.g. Quality Matters).
- Work with the Online Team and to facilitate successful completion of assigned projects.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Experience with Blackboard Ultra required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Outlook)
- Experience in online instructional development with significant work in online instructional and curriculum design in higher education environments.
- Understanding of effective online instructional design principles and strategies, and ability to stay current with emerging online pedagogical practices.
- Knowledge of Quality Matters standards preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage processes needed to develop resources in a complex collaborative environment.
- Experience as an online student or educator, at the college level, preferred but not required.
- Understand and implement online pedagogy, instructional design, and adult learning principles.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, including knowledge of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles, and ability to align curricula with Section 508 accessibility standards.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work with different levels within the organization, to build relationships, to actively listen, and to assist faculty member or other subject matter expert in translating concepts into engaging, pedagogically sound online courses.
- Possess effective communication skills in English: written (including editing and proof-reading), verbal, and presentation (including visuals).
- Possess ability and experience to effectively utilize the required technology tools.
- Possess a successful work history, supported by references, in a work setting similar to the position for which the candidate is applying.
- Demonstrate the ability to practice confidentiality with sensitive information related to student and other data.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - CTID
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer