Library Assistant/Archives Assistant
Description of Job
Edgewood College is seeking a part-time, 28 hours/week Library Assistant/Archives Assistant. Under the supervision of the Library Director, this position provides a wide range of administrative support including clerical and budget management support, supplies and equipment procurement, digitization and archives support, and records management. Some weekends and/or evenings work may be required.
Budget Management & Support
- Prepare, maintain, and verify all financial and statistical records using appropriate technology.
- Post, balance, monitor, and reconcile internal department/division monthly ledgers, budgets, and financial reporting system reports.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, reports, and fiscal year-end report. Submit to Library Director for review.
- Review vendor invoices; process purchase orders and invoices and submit deposits to business office.
- Work closely with Business Office personnel in maintaining campus standards and policies; prepare audit reports; and inform library of campus policy and procedure changes.
- Utilize local accounting system to resolve discrepancies.
- Prepare, review and submit monthly credit card reports and travel vouchers as necessary.
- Provide administrative support for the Library including preparing internal and external correspondence, answering telephones, photocopying, and screening verbal and written inquiries.
- Coordinate donations with Development Office and record donations onto spreadsheet software.
- Record, prepare and distribute staff meeting minutes.
- Create and maintain monthly reference desk calendar.
- Gathers statistics and prepares reports for large surveys (ACRL, etc.)
- Create and prepare statistical data, spreadsheets, memos and other miscellaneous documents, and edits to maintain accuracy. Utilize microcomputer application software including word processing, spreadsheet, database management software
- Schedule Library Art Exhibits; maintains master calendar and policies & procedures.
- Assist in coordinating special events held in the Library.
- Sort and distribute all Library mail and shipments daily.
Archives and Digitization Support
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of digital archive projects, including scanning, proofing and transcribing.
- Assist in the development of digitization policies and procedures
- Assist in providing quality support services and records management in the Archives Department.
- Respond to client requests promptly and efficiently.
Organize and Maintain Office Filing Systems
- Assist in the development and/or revision of policies and procedures; distribute copies to appropriate individuals; update Procedure and Policy manuals as required.
- Maintain all office files including Directors files and external and internal vendors' files.
- Prepare outdated files for archives, storage or destruction as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain file retention procedures. Keep current with campus retention policies.
- Coordinate record keeping of events and other information for the Annual Report.
Supplies and Equipment Procurement
- Maintain all general Library supplies.
- Order and receive merchandise.
- Secure cost estimates on products and recommends best vendor for purchase(s)
- Arrange for any necessary repairs to building or equipment, after determining that repair is necessary.
- Administer special projects and other tasks as assigned by the Director and other Library staff.
- Prepare reports and other documents for all Library Staff, as assigned.
- Design and edit Library brochures and publications.
- Maintain office copy machine, facsimile machine, laser printer and supplies inventory. Arrange for repairs as necessary.
- Continue to gain general knowledge of routine library operations.
- Participate in unit planning activities and special projects as required.
- Develop and maintain expertise in a constantly changing technological environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Associates degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years administrative assistant experience
- Minimum of two years library assistant experience
- Minimum two years of experience in the advanced use of computer and Office software products
- Demonstrated budgetary management and financial analysis skills and experience.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Able to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Able to use discretion and make administrative judgments based on existing operating guidelines to resolve day to day operating issues
- Excellent problem solving, multi-tasking, and organizational skills.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills, and a strong, proactive service orientation.
- Successful project management experience including a demonstrated ability to plan, and implement and assess projects.
- Ability to troubleshoot computers and/or software applications.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - LBAA
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer