Student Service Specialist
Description of Job
This dynamic position directly impacts student service and is the first point of contact for Financial Aid, Registration, and Student Accounts. This position requires analyzing student accounts, and providing counseling to resolve both simple and complex questions within Edgewood Central with only minimal supervisory guidance. It is also responsible for managing voicemail, email correspondence, updating forms and coordinating mass communication to students.
- Counsel students one-on-one in order to identify financing options and assist with questions involving financial aid, registration, and student billing via phone, email or in person. Partner with college colleagues to resolve student issues as needed.
- Monitor email accounts and voice mail boxes numerous times per day to address all inquiries in a timely manner.
- Has authority to implement and review changes and make exceptions to students’ records including adjusting late fees and resolving problems with accounts and financial transactions.
- Research and analyze current processes and continuously improve services to students in all areas represented by Edgewood Central. In addition, provides metrics in order to measure the success of student satisfaction.
- Manage the distribution of financial aid offers both via paper and electronically including organizing and creating associated materials.
- Coordinate and facilitate mass communication and outreach via email, text, and automated calls to students with missing information/documents or for deadline reminders.
- Manage outside scholarship process including web posting, research, reconciliation and student notifications.
Data and Form Management
- Process a variety of forms related to student registration, billing and financial aid while being cognizant of all deadlines to ensure that transactions are processed correctly.
- Update Edgewood Central forms at least annually with close attention to detail.
- Verify enrollments and degrees for outside agencies & loan deferments.
- Responsible for document imaging process for Edgewood Central which includes developing systematic review to ensure accuracy.
- Adhere to all FERPA (Family Education and Privacy Act) regulations in all job aspects.
- Perform independent special projects and aid with day-to-day processing when needed.
- Keep up to date with college, departmental and professional (federal and state) changes in the field.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Associate Degree required, Bachelors Degree preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in customer service with the ability to react to customers quickly, accurately, and compassionately
- Student financial aid, registration, student accounts receivable experience preferred
- Preference for a bilingual candidate with the ability to write and speak in Spanish proficiently
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Ability to adapt to and welcome interruptions in a positive and friendly manner
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and make independent decisions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Required Technical Skills
- Overall Proficient skill-level in Microsoft Office, which includes: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and basic computer concepts
- Experience with Powerfaids and Jenzabar EX is preferred
- Willingness and ability to learn new software
Edgewood College, a Catholic college sponsored by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence - the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values - truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - SSVS
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer