Director of Information Technology
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
The Director of Information Technology provides leadership and management of the Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) in its charge to provide, operate, and maintain computing and telecommunication facilities, equipment, and services that enhance the College’s commitment to an excellent higher educational academic environment. The Director ensures proper and sustainable financial and asset management in responsible areas to provide for long-term support of high quality technological and informational resources at the College. The Director is charged with strategic planning, tactical action, and operational decision-making to fulfill the mission of the ITSO.
- Provide exceptional leadership in the planning, development and implementation in all areas of data, voice and video technologies for Edgewood College.
- Supervises hires, terminates, reviews and evaluates all positions within the department in accordance with established personnel and human resource policies at the College. Delegates responsibilities and authority where necessary for the successful function of the department and in the best interest for the support of the College.
- Implement and direct activities that support the educational development of Faculty and Staff in the best use of technologies for the enhancement of Edgewood’s commitment to an exceptional higher educational learning environment.
- Provide leadership and direction on the incorporation of new and innovative technologies.
Information Technology Operations
- Implement and direct processes that provide high quality support and maintenance for existing hardware and software technologies in use at Edgewood based on and following IT service management (ITSM) standards outlined in the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Standards.
- Develop standards for technologies used by the College.
- Coordinate the acquisition of technology related products and services for all departments on campus.
- Prepare and maintain high quality budgetary, expense and appropriate financial forecasting information relative to the technologies on campus.
- Insures policies and procedures are in place to protect and secure key informational technologies and appropriate recovery plans are in place.
- Responsible for the proper licensing, implementation and supporting documentation for all software owned and in use by the College.
- Responsible for technology related service contracts and managing vendor relationships.
Campus Community Collaboration
- Collaborate extensively with College Leadership, Administration, Management, Faculty and Staff to develop new methods in implementing and using technology for the improvement of our academic environment.
- Provide Business Relationship Management (BRM) services to College leadership to ensure the department clearly understands the college’s technology requirements and the college understands the department’s services and capabilities.
- Serve on committees, attend professional meetings and seminars, and provide consultative services within the College as necessary and directed by the CFO.
- Manages overall department workload so that the needs of the College are processed on a timely basis and deadlines accomplished.
- Assist with the overall activities and supervision of the College as requested.
- Must be able to process all levels of confidential information in a professional manner.
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate varying workload.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Graduate degree in Information Technology Systems with emphasis in Business Management or related professional and executive level experience.
- Ten years’ experience managing information technology systems and personnel in a professional corporate or academic organization.
- Fifteen years’ experience in applied informational technology related fields.
- Appropriate training and certification in relevant IT service management frameworks, such as ITIL.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive purchasing and vendor relations skills for all product, service and support levels of technology.
- Must have significant experience in technology planning and related financial management.
- Skilled in supervisory and personnel management.
- Must be able to work independently and possess excellent project management skills, with the ability to partner with individuals and groups with diverse sets of needs competing for resources.
- Strong project leadership skills with experience in a collaborative role within an educational environment preferred.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to build consensus are essential in addition to excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in an academic environment with a reasonable understanding of the required informational process flows preferred.
- Good learning, teaching, creative and conceptual skills in order to assist users in developing “Best Practice” use of technology.
- Must possess a strong customer service attitude.
- Ability to learn independently and grow in a dynamically changing environment.
Specialized Technology Skills:
- Experience with current core technologies in use at Edgewood College is a plus:
- Jenzabar Administrative ERP software preferred or related ERP systems.
- Microsoft Windows Enterprise Client-Server networking technologies.
- Microsoft Integrated Active Directory enterprise environment.
- Microsoft Exchange server with Outlook, PC & Macintosh email clients.
- Microsoft Share Point Portal server systems.
- Microsoft Internet Information Server, web site development and management.
- Microsoft SQL Server, database development and management.
- Blackboard or related Academic Course Management software.
- Cisco network switching and routing technologies. TCP/IP and Internet connectivity and communication technologies. Voice, data and audio network topologies and structures.
- AVAYA or Microsoft LYNC voice systems. Telephone over IP technologies.
- GMC one-card/swipe-card or similar debit and security card systems.
- Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems.
- Microsoft Office Software Suite; FrontPage, Visio.
- Adobe Acrobat, Premiere, Photoshop, GoLive and Live Motion; PC & Macintosh.
- Apple desktop operating systems.
- General audio and video multi-media technologies.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – DRIT
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer