ESports Head Coach and Program Director
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
The ESports Coach and Program Director is responsible for short and long term program development and planning, recruiting qualified students for both club and competitive varsity level teams, scheduling and coaching intercollegiate matches and tournaments, scheduling practice preparation, and scheduling the training arena. The coach must demonstrate a vision for a collegiate ESports program at Edgewood College in support of the College’s Mission and Vision.
Recruiting and Retention
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office and Enrollment Management to recruit and enroll qualified ESports students for club sports and varsity level competition teams.
- Ensure that the competitive varsity level program meets annual squad size number, to meet enrollment and budget projections.
- Develop relationships with recruited student-athletes and parents/guardians.
- Develop relationships with high school/club coaches, teachers, alumni, and others that can aid in the recruitment of participants.
- Collaborate with student development and student support-focused departments to retain students recruited specifically for club sports or the varsity level competitive team.
- Ensure that program recruitment activities adhere to University and NACE Policies and Procedures.
- Prepare eSport student-athletes for NACE, Tespa and other competition and tournaments
- Teach each team member proper techniques, strategies and skills that foster growth, development of potential and opportunities to achieve success during practice and competition
- Develop a strong sense of team in the program, the Divison, and the College.
- Organize productive practice sessions for fall, spring, and summer as appropriate, communicate all practice and events with team members and administration as needed.
- Prepare team members for high levels of collegiate competition, including instruction and coaching on game strategies, performance principles, and related competition components.
- Support the academic and future occupational goals of each team member.
- Model and foster appropriate sportsmanship, competitiveness, and humility.
- Ensure player eligibility in all collegiate leagues and competition and maintain player records of that eligibility.
- Develop schedules for competitions that are fiscally efficient and spectator friendly.
- Effectively use fiscal resources to coordinate team travel, recruiting, equipment, arena/facility needs, and all related program costs.
- Provide accurate data for individual and team accomplishments, as well as game scores.
- Provide reports and documentation when required.
- Communicate monthly recruiting activity to Admissions Office and supervisor, attend all meetings related to recruitment and retention of student athletes.
- Participate in the development and implementation of an assessment plan to measure program outcomes.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the ESports program in the community.
- Represent the College at conferences, regional, state and national meetings relating specifically to eSports, within existing budget allocations.
- Develop and foster community relationships that benefit the ESports Program, the Division of Student Development, and Edgewood College.
- Facilitate community events, including summer camps and other related programs that are beneficial to key partners and individuals.
- Facilitate and encourage campus and community involvement by all group members.
- Serve as member of the Division of Student Development staff attending meetings and retreats
- Represent the Division of Student Development on institutional committees, task forces, and groups. Also serve on Student Development division-wide committees
- Participate in campus events as a department and division representative.
- All other duties as assigned.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Bachelors degree in a related field required.
- At least 2 years of related experience, coaching preferred
- Competitive level experience with multiplayer online video games
- ESports coaching experience, collegiate varsity or club-level preferred
- Expert knowledge of League of Legends and/or Overwatch.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Must have Gaming Knowledge.
- Knowledge of NACE and related organizations rules and regulations.
- Ability to utilize resources, data, and tools effectively. Demonstrated track record for sustained measurement of program outcomes. Ability to work independently and with others to achieve desired results.
- Ability to manage time, projects, and deadlines. Experience in the implementation of programs or workshops with strong emphasis on details and follow up on assignments.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Effectively present information and respond to questions from prospective students and parents, high school counselors, the university community, and the general public which may include public/group speaking engagements. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to articulate the value and benefits of a liberal arts education to a variety of audiences.
- Understanding of and ability to support the Edgewood College Mission and Values
- Some travel for recruitment and tournament play and the ability to work a flexible schedule, which might include evenings and weekends, may be required. (normal office hours 9am to 5pm with flexibility to cover requirements outside of normal schedule). Must meet travel expectations as required for the position.
- Experience establishing and maintaining working relationships
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities
Specialized Technology Skills:
- Ability to operate computer equipment in ESports Arena including knowledge of gaming platforms and supporting websites. Ability to troubleshoot equipment for optimal gaming experience. Able to navigate multiple systems of record for accessing official College records. Windows operating systems and software, social media aptitude; Microsoft Office Suite; Familiarity with desktop and web based conferencing tools – Skype, Skype Business, Microsoft Lync, Webex, etc.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – EHCP
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer