Head Softball Coach
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics. The position is responsible for the direct oversight of the Edgewood College Softball Program and will include other duties within the department.Athletics plays an important role in the life of the campus, including but, not limited to the following: enhancing the learning experience for student-athletes, creating opportunities for uniting the campus community, publicly demonstrating the College’s values and mission, and contributing to the achievement of the College’s enrollment goals. The position will be responsible for short and long term Softball Program planning that supports the College’s Mission and Vision, and strictly adherences to NCAA, Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference and institutional rules.
- Assist each team member in reaching their athletic potential, in a manner consistent with the College’s Values.
- Teach each team member proper techniques, strategies and, skills that foster growth, development of potential and, opportunities to achieve success
- Develop a strong sense of team within the Softball Team, the Department and the College.
- Organize productive practice sessions
- Prepare team members for high levels of collegiate competition
- Support the academic and future occupational goals of each team member
- Model and foster appropriate sportsmanship, competitiveness, and humility
- Qualify for the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament
- Direct supervision of assistant coaches, student manager, student assistants, and team personnel for Softball Program.
- Allocate, oversee, and modify (as needed) teams’ budgets, including operating and booster budgets.
- Fundraise yearly, a minimum of 10% equivalent of program operating budget.
- Increase booster budget funds in conjunction with Development Office guidelines.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of NCAA and conference regulations, educate all team members, coaching staff members, and boosters, alumni, parents on those rules and regulations, and oversee adherence to them.
- Develop and foster community relationships that benefit the Softball Program, The Department and College
- Facilitate Team involvement that is beneficial to community organizations and individuals
- Expand the Teams’ supporters, boosters and “ownership” groups
- Facilitate and encourage campus and community involvement by all Team members
- Assist in developing, fostering and maintaining practice and competition venue relationships
- Complete one (1) Community Service Project with Team(s)
- Participate in one (1) Athletic Department Community Service Project
Other Department Duties
- Duties will be defined per knowledge and skills of the ideal candidate
- Attend all Athletic Department staff meetings
- Attend all Divisional meetings
- Participate in Athletic Department’s annual Golf Outing
- Serve as Event Manager for Athletic home contests outside your sport
- Other duties as assigned
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a high school head coach or 3 years’ experience as a collegiate coach.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- General understanding of NCAA III rules
- Ability to relate to a diverse population
- Understanding of and ability to support the Edgewood College Mission and Values
- Valid Driver’s License and outstanding driving record
Specialized Technology Skills:
- Comfortable with Office 365 platform
- Demonstrated comfort with social media (Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.)
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – HSCO
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer