Interim Dean of Students
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Edgewood College seeks an Interim Dean of Students for the 2017-18 academic year. This role is responsible for cultivating vibrant and engaging out-of-classroom learning experiences, a safe and educational residence life environment, supportive health and personal counseling services, and a welcoming campus climate for students of all backgrounds.
- Provide leadership, direction, supervision, and support for the staff and operations of the Division of Student Development including: Health Services, Personal Counseling Services, Student Inclusion & Involvement, Residence Life, and Student Conduct
- Work in partnership with other campus leaders in the areas of retention, student engagement, inclusion, and other overarching institutional priorities as needed
- Contribute to and facilitate our comprehensive student development approach to co-curricular activities that support and enhance student learning in and out of the classroom, consistent with the College’s Dominican, Catholic identity
- Consult on and contribute to a meaningful student orientation process for new students
- Ensure compliance with appropriate federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to areas of supervision (including but not limited to Title IX, Student Right to Know Act, FERPA, Cleary Act, etc.)
- Serve as an effective advocate, mentor, and voice for students and members of the Division of Student Development
- Willingness to be present, engaged, active and visible to students, faculty and staff
- Work in partnership with other divisions, such as Advancement, to enhance the College’s relationship with parents of students through regular, timely communications, programming, and events
- Serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet and contribute as needed on behalf of the Division of Student Development at President’s Council meetings, Board of Trustee meetings and institutional committee meetings
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Master’s Degree (in Student Personnel Services or related field preferred), earned Doctorate preferred
- 7 years of experience in student affairs, minimum of 3 years at a Director or comparable level
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate and resolve interpersonal conflicts
- Adeptness at creatively leveraging resources to achieve divisional goals and objectives
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Competence in and commitment to creating an inclusive working, learning, and living environment, preferably in a small and/or Catholic college
- Understanding, appreciation, and enthusiasm for the College’s Dominican, Catholic, liberal arts identity
Strong candidates will possess a solid background in student development theory and practice. They will demonstrate a commitment to inclusion and developing authentic relationships with students and colleagues. They will be an assertive and diplomatic leader who will be able to focus on the overarching and long-term needs of the Division while ensuring day-to-day operations run smoothly. They will be a collaborator and an advocate who understands the needs and opportunities that come with working in a small, hands-on, student-centered educational environment. Additionally, an ideal candidate will share in the College’s core values (truth, justice, compassion, partnership, and community) and be excited to join the warm, friendly, and fun members of the Student Development Division.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply: Send a cover letter of interest, resume, and professional references to:
Human Resources – IDSD
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates applying by June 15, 2017, will be given first consideration in anticipation of a start date of August 1, 2017.