Lecturer or Assistant Professor of Accounting
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Edgewood College School of Business (ECSB) invites applications for one full-time, non-tenure or tenure-track faculty position in the Department of Accounting at the Lecturer or Assistant Professor level beginning in Fall 2019. Applicants with a terminal degree may be considered for a tenure-track position while applicants with a Master’s degree may be considered for a lecturer position.
Faculty will teach full time in the Adult College Completion, undergraduate, and/or graduate accounting programs. Edgewood College and the School of Business are interested in professionally qualified (PQ) or academically qualified (AQ) candidates who will make significant contributions in the areas of teaching, research, service, and mentorship.
- Teach full-time within the School of Business (24 credit hours per academic year) while demonstrating excellence, innovation, rigor, and fairness in teaching.
- Mentor current and new Accounting majors as needed in coordination with the Accounting Department Chair and advising staff. Faculty Recruitment
- Provide support to Accounting Department Chair in future search processes for vacant full-time faculty positions (tenure and non-tenure track).
- Advise the Accounting Department Chair and School of Business Dean on qualified candidates for teaching accounting courses, including adjunct instructor positions
- Assist the Accounting Department Chair with orienting, evaluating, managing and communicating with full-time and adjunct accounting faculty.
- Provide support to the Accounting Department Chair in designing and developing appropriate and relevant accounting curriculum (undergraduate, graduate, and Adult College Completion) and annually review the curriculum for improvement opportunities.
- Assist the Accounting Department Chair in developing online and hybrid courses in the undergraduate and graduate, and Adult College Completion Accounting programs, Accounting degree programs.
- Assess student learning objectives, goals, and outcomes for undergraduate, graduate, and Adult College Completion accounting courses taught in consultation with Accounting Department Chair and School of Business’ Assessment Coordinator.
- Assist the Accounting Department Chair and School of Business Dean’s Office in scheduling classes, timetable generation, and catalogue revisions to reflect the goals of the accounting department.
- Advise the Internship Coordinator on the needs and requirements of accounting students.
- Serve on Department, School, and College level committees as needed.
- Participate in Edgewood College events, committees, and activities as time permits to demonstrate the School of Business’ engagement in the College.
- Engage in the greater Madison community through public service, which may include student learning projects with for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrate service leadership to the academy in the accounting discipline (i.e., academic journal reviewer, editorial board member, or editor; academic conference proceedings reviewer, discussant, session chair, track chair, or chair; etc.).
- Publish quality research articles in peer-reviewed academic journals, practitioner journals, and academic conference proceedings in the Accounting discipline and other business related disciplines.
- Must maintain an active research agenda within the academic Accounting discipline and closely related business disciplines.
Non-tenure Track Position
- Encouraged to maintain an active research agenda within the academic Accounting discipline and closely related business disciplines.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- A Master’s degree in Accounting with a qualified professional certification or licensure such as a CPA, CMA or CGMA is required. Significant relevant work experience outside of academia are highly desirable.
- A Ph.D. or D.B.A. in Accounting (AACSB accredited university) is preferred. ABD status doctoral candidates will also be considered. ABD status doctoral candidates who have not completed their terminal degree by the contract start date may be hired as a non-tenure track Instructor, which would convert to a tenure-track Assistant Professor position after conferral of the terminal degree. For Ph.D., D.B.A. and ABD status doctoral candidates who do not already have a CPA, CMA or CGMA, it is expected that he/she will have earned such a professional certification or licensure by the time of application for promotion to Associate Professor.
- Experience with teaching/mentoring is preferred.
- Demonstrate the potential to produce or have recently produced scholarly publications in peer reviewed academic journals.
- Embraces student centricity, diversity, and inclusion at a leading Catholic teaching institution.
- If hired in a tenure-track position, must maintain academically qualified (AQ) status as defined by the Accreditation Council for Business School & Programs (ACBSP).
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Excellent writing, communication, and Microsoft Office skills. Knowledge of SharePoint and Blackboard are pluses.
- Ability to multitask, exercise independent judgment, and work effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities.
- Exhibits professionalism, integrity, and ethics at all times.
- Willingness to promote the School of Business to prospective students and to the Greater Madison community.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
- A complete application packet must also include:
- cover letter,
- a recent curriculum vita/resume,
- professional references with full contact information
The search committee will review applications until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, all application materials should be provided to the Human Resources Office by Friday, March 15, 2019. Failure to submit all requested documents/information shall deem an application to be incomplete and will not be considered.
Send completed application packet to:
Human Resources – LAPA
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer