Resident Area Director
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
The Edgewood College office of Residence Life seeks an individual to manage three/four of our seven residential communities, consisting of primarily freshman and sophomore students with some upper-class students. Together with another Area Director, this individual will supervise approximately half of the 18 paraprofessional staff which includes 15 Resident Assistants and three Apartment Coordinators. This individual will provide assistance in coordination of all aspects of residence life for a total of 550-650 residents. Additionally, this individual will serve as a resident support person, assist with the coordination of programming, adjudicate student conduct and participate in our professional on-call duty rotation. This is a live-on position.
- Assist with hiring, supervision, training, and evaluation of paraprofessional staff with regard to all residence life issues, daily operations, procedures and policies, and creation of inclusive communities.
- Actively develop professional, positive relationships with residents to assist them in their personal, social, spiritual, and intellectual development.
- Advise residence life community development efforts toward the creation of inclusive, healthy, safe, caring and growth-minded residence life communities with special focus on freshmen and sophomore year needs.
- Serve on a duty rotation providing night and weekend on-call coverage.
- Share advisory responsibilities with second Area Director specific to the Residence Life Advisory Board and the Residence Life Traditions Committee.
- Conduct student judicial hearings.
- Conduct program assessment and evaluation.
- Collaborate with Facilities and Security staff to ensure upkeep of facilities and safety of residents. Assist with housing operations as needed in such areas as: applications and contracts, room assignments and changes, check-in and check-out procedures, break opening and closing, key inventory, and facilities damage.
- Partner with Student Development, Dominican Life, Athletics and other staff and faculty to develop campus-wide co-curricular programs that meet the changing social, emotional, and spiritual needs of students.
- Provide leadership for programs directed toward the particular needs of residents.
- Assist with the Office for Student Inclusion and Involvement programming activities such as: Fall Fest, Winter Frost, Dream Week, Springfest, night and weekend activities.
- Coordinate various new student orientation events in conjunction with the OSII.
- Partner with Student Development Staff members to ensure strong coordination for staff training, residence hall programming, and appropriate referrals.
- Serve as a member on College committees based on need and professional interest.
- Participate in Orientation, Commencement, College Assemblies and Admissions Events.
- Actively support the missions of Edgewood College and Student Development.
- Continue to develop multicultural competence- the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Master’s degree preferred with related experience in residence life or Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1 year professional experience in residence life
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Skilled at leading a diverse team
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – RDAD
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer