Service Desk Manager
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
The Service Desk Manager role has a strong emphasis on customer service, team leadership, and problem resolution. The position leads the Technology Assistance Center (TAC) and provides leadership to the help desk and desktop support functions of Edgewood College. Utilizing strong leadership, management, and oversight for TAC staff, the primary objective for the position is the delivery of high touch, high quality, and timely customer service. The Service Desk Manager ensures that expected service levels are consistently achieved for internal and external clients. They are responsible for ensuring standards and processes are followed and metrics are being recorded and monitored, in order to provide effective customer service and meet requirements of students, faculty, and staff at the College.
- Employing a high quality customer service approach, oversee all requests, incidents, and problems reported to TAC. Prioritize, manage, and coordinate urgent and complicated support issues. Develop and mature phone/ticket escalation processes to ensure free flowing escalation for efficient and high quality customer service outcomes. Communicate the root cause of issues appropriately to internal and external users.
- Train, coach, and mentor Technology Support Specialists, Team Leaders, and Student Employee Supervisors. Oversee staff activities to ensure the highest quality of customer service. Build or obtain, and deliver training material for support staff, including training and development to improve customer service and technical skill sets. Foster an environment of high quality customer service. As needed, schedule employee work times and provide backup support.
- Provide data and reporting of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and trends to the Information Technology Services Office (ITSO) department and others, as needed, to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction and effectiveness. Facilitate root cause identification of issues and develop strategies for improvement. Work to make TAC the authoritative initial source of technology support and service delivery. Monitor and manage phone queue, participating in escalated calls as needed.
- Oversee Knowledge Management Database (KMDB) and ensure quality solutions are available to the College. In order to deliver high quality customer service, participate in the development of Operation Level Agreements (OLAs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs), setting expectations of performance and measurement of service achievement. Review survey feedback to improve services, tools, and support experiences. Measure, manage, and improve IT support at the College.
- Manage vendor relationships, as it depends on daily operational needs. Keep confidential all College information, as appropriate.
- Participate in technology implementation projects as either a project leader or resource. Act as the ITSO liaison on construction projects. Advise management on situations that may require additional client support or escalation.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
Required Technology Skills (experience with or familiarity in operating):
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
- Five or more years of leadership and/or managerial experience in a help desk environment supporting desktop, wide area network, and local area network equipment, or equivalent experience in a strongly customer service-focused service desk environment
- Experience working in an academic environment preferred
- Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) training, preferably in ITIL, is strongly preferred. Experience working with a recognized service delivery model is required
- Microsoft Integrated Active Directory enterprise environment
- Microsoft Office 365 Product Suite, PC & Macintosh email clients
- Microsoft Windows desktop operating systems
- Microsoft Office Software Suite, Project, Visio
- Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
- Apple desktop operating systems
- General audio and video multi-media technologies
Other Required Capabilities and Skills:
- Past success in managing a 24/7 Service Desk environment delivering excellent technical customer service
- Strong technical knowledge across application support, Microsoft Windows, Active Directory, desktop support
- Personnel management experience and demonstrated leadership skills
- Relevant IT tertiary qualification and/or equivalent training and experience
- Proven ability to develop budgets and effectively manage financial, physical, and human resources
- Demonstrated ability to lead and to effectively communicate with staff at all levels, including a proven ability to communicate with technical and non-technical staff across multiple disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines without compromising close attention to detail and accuracy
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – SDKM
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer