Graduate Assistant Coach – Track & Cross Country
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
This position reports directly to the Head Coach for Cross Country and Track, under the direction of the Director of Athletics. The position is responsible for program support of the Edgewood College Cross Country and Track Programs. Athletics plays an important role in the life of the campus, including but, not limited to the following: enhancing the learning experience for student-athletes, creating opportunities for uniting the campus community, publicly demonstrating the College’s values and mission, and contributing to the achievement of the College’s enrollment goals. This position will be active in supporting the College’s Mission and Vision, and will strictly adhere to NCAA, Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference and Institutional rules.
- Assist each team member in reaching their athletic potential, in a manner consistent with the College’s Values.
- Teach team members proper techniques, strategies and, skills that foster growth, development of potential and, opportunities to achieve success
- Support the Head Coach in developing a strong sense of team within the Program, the Department and the College.
- Assist in organized and productive practice sessions
- Prepare team members for high levels of collegiate competition
- Support the academic and future occupational goals of each team member
- Model and foster appropriate sportsmanship, competitiveness, and humility
- Maintain various data bases and research data needed for scouting reports and recruiting.
- Identify outstanding student-athlete candidates for Edgewood College and the Program.
- Develop relationships with recruited student-athletes and parents/guardians.
- Develop relationships with high school/club coaches, teachers, alumni, and others that can aid in the recruitment of student-athletes.
- Organize, coordinate, and delegate recruiting tasks including recruiting correspondence via mail, email, telephone, social media and others forms as needed to coaching staff
- Work closely with the Admissions Office on all recruiting activities.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of NCAA and conference regulations, and assist in the adherence to them.
- Assist in travel arrangements, academic monitoring, purchasing apparel/equipment, and other needs for the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited institution required
- Admission to an Edgewood College graduate program
- Knowledge of Track and Cross Country. Experience in competing in both or either is preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- General understanding of NCAA III rules
- Ability to relate to a diverse population
- Understanding of and ability to support the Edgewood College Mission and Values
- Ability to relate to 18 – 23 year-olds and recruit them on the benefits of an Edgewood College Education
- Valid Driver’s License and outstanding driving record
Specialized Technology Skills:
- Comfortable with Office 365 platform
- Demonstrated comfort with social media (Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
- Regularly required to move and interact with collegiate athletes
- Regularly required to sit;
- Frequently required to use keying skills, visual requirements associated with keying data, often detailed and numeric;
- Frequently required to interpret and respond to printed documentation;
- Regularly required to communicate effectively on the telephone;
- The noise level in the work environment is normal office conversation though, can be loud during events;
- Occasionally required to drive to off-site facilities, meetings and conferences. Approximately 60% of job functions will require travel.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – GATC
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer