Veterans Academic and Career Counselor
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
As a member of the Office of Military & Veterans Services, the Veterans Academic and Career Counselor is responsible for developing ongoing intentional relationships with approximately 5 – 10 assigned students. They will assist students in their academic success and career development by providing information and opportunities for growth in the areas of academic advising, career development, and academic skills acquisition. This is a part-time LTE position.
- Academic Advising:
- Provide curricular, policy, and procedural information to students. Assist students with academic advising and course enrollment. As needed, facilitate long term planning for degree completion.
- Provide academic advising support for all Eagle Enrollment and transfer student advising sessions.
- Career Development:
- Provide individualized career development/major selection counseling.
- Utilize the "Type Focus" assessment tool to contextualize decision making.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of career services programming.
- Provide specialized career development resources as assigned.
- Academic Success Strategies:
- Provide individualized assistance with issues concerning academic success including: study skills, time management, test taking skills.
- Use research based success strategies to assist students in their academics.
- Intervene with assigned students who are placed on academic warning and probation.
- Follow up on all academic alert notifications for assigned students.
- Provide specialized academic skills resources as assigned.
- Professional Development:
- Participate in continuous professional development around academic success and career development.
- Attend Academic Success and Career Development Center staff meetings as scheduled.
- Develop academic, career, and learning support knowledge base for assigned academic departments.
- o Keep accurate records of student contacts. This includes: email, 1:1 appointments, as well as other interactions and/or transactions with students.
- o Implement and follow-through on retention initiatives as directed.
- o Provide appropriate referrals to campus resources when necessary.
- o Attend veteran events in support of the Office of Military & Veterans Services.
- o Other duties as assigned by the Director of Military & Veterans Services.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in higher education, student personnel, or educational leadership and policy analysis desirable.
- One year of previous academic advising, career counseling, or relevant experience strongly preferred.
- Former military experience desired.
- Knowledge of veteran’s education benefits preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication, and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills as well as attentiveness to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with research and theory in student development, career services, academic advising or learning support desired.
- Demonstrated ability and affinity to effectively use technology to enhance communication and record-keeping is required.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – VACC
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer