Whether you're building a career in public or private accounting, an Edgewood College MSA is the right degree for you. Expertise in this field can provide the foundation to become a CPA in a public accounting firm, to pursue a career in corporate management accounting, to work in government or not-for-profit sectors or to succeed as an entrepreneur.
- Program Highlights
- Flexible online or face-to-face format designed for working adults
- Finish your degree in 2-3 years taking classes part time or in just 1 year on a full time schedule
- Enrolling new students in the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters
- Build expertise for a career in the private, public, or not-for-profit sector
- Taught by accessible faculty with exceptional practitioner experience
- Learn skills that you can take back to workplace immediately
- Receive superior student advising and career counseling from staff committed to your success
- Interact with the local community through participation in the annual accounting dinner, annual career fair, tours of area accounting firms, attendance at Accounting Club events, and through opportunities in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
- Receive a discount on Gleim CMA or CPA review material purchases, as Edgewood College is a Gleim CMA Review Academic Site
- Receive a discount to the leading CPA review program in the country (Becker CPA Review) through our business partnership
- Degree Requirements
MS Accountancy coursework is divided into two categories: Business and Accounting Courses. Integrated throughout the courses are topics related to change, innovation, international business, and social responsibility. A total of 30 credits are required for completion of the degree. For students without undergraduate courses in business functional areas from a 4 year regionally accredited institution, it is recommended that they complete courses in the following areas: finance, marketing, management and IT Management.
A minimum of 15 credits of Accounting Courses:
*Students who have not completed a course in accounting systems, will be required to take BUS 725 - Accounting Systems instead of BUS 714 - Advanced Cost Management & Control
**Students who have not completed a course in auditing will be required to take BUS 706 - Auditing instead of BUS 756 - Fraud and Forensic Accounting
• BUS 714 - Advanced Cost Management & Control 3 Credit(s) *
• BUS 726 - Advanced Accounting I 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 727 - Governmental & Not-For-Profit Accounting 3 Credit(s) **
• BUS 756 - Fraud & Forensic Accounting 3 Credit(s) *
• BUS 798 - Strategic Management Accounting 3 Credit(s)
Up to one of the following electives:
• BUS 709 - Income Tax Accounting II 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 717 - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance I 1 Credit(s)
• And BUS 718 - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance II Variable 2-3 Credit(s)
12 credits of Business Courses
• BUS 601 - Executive Communication 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 616 - Business Ethics 3 Credit(s)
• OR PHIL 604 - Professional Ethics 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 723 - Business Law II 3 Credit(s)
At least one of the following electives:
• BUS 603 - Organizational Development/Behavior 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 604 - Operations Management 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 605 - Statistics for Managers 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 606 - Strategic Marketing 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 607 - Corporate Finance 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 618 - Managing Information and Technology 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 679 - Business Internship Variable 3-6 Credit(s)
• BUS 712 - Investments 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 719 - Personal Financial Planning 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 761 - Quality Improvement Methods 3 Credit(s)
• BUS 792A - International Study Tour A-China 1 Credit(s)
And BUS 792B - International Study Tour B-China 2 Credit(s)
• BUS 795A - International Study Tour A-Germany 1 Credit(s)
And BUS 795B - International Study Tour B-Germany 2 Credit(s)
- Tuition and Financial Aid
Edgewood College is committed to making a life-changing education more affordable and accessible to more people than ever before. As part of the Graduate Affordability Promise, courses in the MS-Accountancy program are now $725 per credit.
Attending graduate school is one of the best investments you will ever make in yourself and your future. While the benefits related to personal development and growth are priceless, you can also expect your MSA degree to expand your career options and enhance your earning power in the marketplace. Remember, completing your MSA is an investment in yourself and your career. Be sure to consider not only the total cost of your education, but think about how that total breaks down in terms of monthly costs, which can make your investment feel more manageable and affordable.
The following web links provide helpful information about the employment and career outlook for accountants:
Accounting Jobs Today – “Choosing between public accounting and private industry means learning about a wide range of choices and career paths that each area of the field offers.”
AICPA Sponsored Site – “Select an interest area and see how accounting can take you there.”
Bureau of Labor Statistics – “Employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow 16% from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations.”
Robert Half Salary Guide – “Our annual Salary Guide includes starting salary ranges for more than 300 accounting, finance and financial services positions.”
Financing Your Edgewood College MSA Degree
Graduate tuition for the 2019-20 year (beginning Summer 2019) is $725 per credit. You can expect that cost to rise by approximately 3.5% per year in the future.
Most graduate students are working professionals who take courses part-time. The MSA degree requires completion of a total of 30 credits. Typically, a part-time student completes their MSA in 2 years. Full-time students can complete the program in one year.
Based on current tuition rates, the estimated total tuition cost of your Edgewood College MSA degree would be approximately $22,359.
Note - These estimates assume that you have satisfied all foundation requirements before enrolling in the program. If foundation courses are required, that will increase the total cost of the MSA degree and delay your completion. Please contact an admissions counselor for more details.
Graduate students are eligible for financial aid in the form of Federal Stafford Loans. Learn more about Stafford Loans, including eligibility requirements and application instructions.
Our admissions and financial aid counselors have worked with thousands of students who have questioned how they could afford to complete their graduate education. They will use their experience to suggest creative solutions for financing your education. We work with students and organizations to manage tuition reimbursement plans, extend tuition discounts to various corporate partners in the region, offer third party billing and monthly payment plans, and work with veterans to maximize their available aid.
- Admission Requirements
New students may enroll in the fall, spring, or summer semesters. Application deadlines:
Fall - August 1
Spring - December 1
Summer - May 1
To be considered for admission, applicants must provide the following to Edgewood College Graduate and Professional Studies:
1. Completed graduate application. ($30 application fee is waived for graduates of Edgewood College and veterans.) This application is for graduate students who want to pursue a Master’s degree, certificate, or take courses as a non-degree student.
2. Official transcripts for a baccalaureate or more advanced degree from a United States regionally accredited or equivalent post-secondary institution with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. The cumulative grade point average is computed on the highest degree held at the time of application to The School of Business graduate program. Please request that official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic credits received from any post-secondary institutions be sent directly to Edgewood College.
Provide evidence of completion of the following 10 prerequisite courses or equivalent courses:
- Micro-Economics or Macro-Economics
- Finite Math¹
- Financial Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting I²
- Intermediate Accounting II²
- Cost Accounting
- Business Law I
- Tax I²
¹Business calculus is also recommended and is a prerequisite for some of the electives in the MSA Program.
²Prerequisites must be taken at an accredited 4-year college or university.
3. Two letters of recommendation from college or university professors, supervisors, and/or professional colleagues who can speak to the applicant’s potential for success in The School of Business graduate program selected. Letter of Recommendation Guidelines
4. A written statement explaining what you hope to gain from your participation in the program, what you bring to the program, and how specific background experiences will aid in your success as a student.
5. A detailed resume evidencing at least 2 years of relevant professional experience.
Items requested in #2 thru #6 may be sent to: Edgewood College, Attn: GPS Admissions, 1000 Edgewood College Dr, Madison, WI 53711
The entirety of the application materials above are considered in evaluating candidates. Preference will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience AND a GPA of at least 3.25 overall or on the last 60 credits
- A Bachelor of Business Administration or Bachelor of Science degree in Business from Edgewood College AND a GPA overall or on the last 60 credits of at least 3.25
- A score in the 40th percentile or better on the GMAT or GRE (with score converted to comparable GMAT)*
*The GMAT or GRE requirement may be waived if the applicant meets the following criteria:
- A or B above, or
- Current, active military or former military personnel, or veteran, honorably discharged. Veterans are considered those who have served at least 180 days of active duty (not including training) or who have been injured and determined to have a disability before 180 days. (Does not include those who served the length of their term in the National Guard or Reserves without being activated at any time.)
7. The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) - for review and study assistance, visit: www.princetonreview.com or www.kaplan.com. Students must call 1-800-717-4628 (GMAT) or go online at www.MBA.com to register for the test. Enter the name of the school and city.
Madison Testing Center
Pearson Professional Center
8517 Excelsior Drive
Madison, WI 53717
GMAT Fee Waiver - Applicants with financial need may qualify for a GMAT fee waiver. To be considered for a fee waiver, please complete the following by December 15:
- Complete a FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov
- Submit a statement of need to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
a. A description of your current financial situation, including any details about job or income changes, or other extenuating circumstances
b. A statement indicating the amount of any tuition reimbursement from your employer
For more information, please contact Edgewood Central at (608) 663-4300.
8. International Students may have additional admission requirements. Learn more.
You may submit up to 12 semester hours of graduate credit for consideration of transfer to Edgewood College for application to a degree program. Approval of the respective department is required. To be considered for application to a degree program, a course must have been taken within the past five years. For more information about transfer credits, please contact your admissions counselor.