Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Whether you're building your career in finance, marketing, human resources, or ultimately pursuing a CEO position, Edgewood College's MBA program gives you the critical learning experiences you will need. Our rigorous curriculum gives you the breadth to think broadly about all functional areas of business and the depth to have a competitive advantage in your chosen area of expertise: financial, customer, business process or learning and growth.
Our program enables you to network with individuals from some of the top companies in the area. Our graduates hold critical leadership positions in many of Madison and Dane County's top companies, including CUNA Mutual Group, the UW Hospital System, American Family Insurance, TDS, John Deere Financial, and many others. Get your degree from a college with a proven record of producing ethical, innovative business leaders for Madison.
- Program Highlights
Reputation and Quality – A degree worth having is a degree that is earned.
The Edgewood College MBA program has been carefully designed to give you a solid background in the mechanics of business with a special emphasis on ethical leadership, entrepreneurship, and sustainability. The curriculum is challenging, rigorous, and relevant. You will graduate with a competitive advantage in today's challenging business environment.
The MBA curriculum is structured around the four perspectives of the Balanced Scorecard Framework - Financial, Customer, Process and Employee. You'll complete core courses in each perspective area to gain the breadth to think comprehensively about effective businesses. And you will also choose two elective courses to gain depth and hone skills in an area of specialization. An integrated capstone experience will enrich your degree with a cumulative, meaningful, practical project.
Our MBA faculty and students are part of the fabric of the community. Faculty includes both academic experts and local business leaders with proven records of success in their fields.
The School of Business at Edgewood College is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) and the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC).
Flexibility – Balance work, home and school.
The Edgewood College Evening MBA program is designed for working professionals so you can study without interrupting your career.
- Courses offered on campus or online
- On campus courses typically meet one evening per week
- Many courses offered in an accelerated format beginning every 8 weeks
- Not a rigid cohort program. Take classes at your own pace.
Networking and a superior student experience – Join a unique community of learners and professionals.
Whether it is your fellow MBA students, CEOs from multi-billion dollar companies or entrepreneurial start-ups, you will meet the most fascinating people. And you will know them for life.
You will work closely with caring and committed advisors who act as your personal advocates from admissions to graduation.
An optional International Experience allows you to study emerging markets and the global business environment up close and personal.
- Degree Requirements
The MBA program has been carefully designed to give you a solid background in the mechanics of business and business ethics. Integrated throughout the courses are topics related to change and innovation, international business, quality, information technology and social responsibility. You will graduate from the program with a competitive advantage in today's challenging business environment.
Most students admitted to the MBA program satisfy Basic Mathematics and Basic Computer Skills prerequisites based on either previous academic work or job experience. Additional preparatory work may be required to help ensure that you succeed in the program. Our admissions staff will review of your academic record and GMAT scores and will be able to answer any questions you have about any additional requirements.
• Basic Mathematics
Requires mathematical proficiency at the level of college algebra and finite mathematics. Students requiring a course in this area may take BUS 500
• Basic Computer Skills
Requires computer proficiency to include basic systems operation, word processing, Excel spreadsheet, PowerPoint, and Internet research.
Foundational Work -
Foundation courses are the skill and experience-broadening courses upon which the remaining curriculum is built. They include coursework in accounting, mathematics, legal issues for business and economics. One or more of these courses may be waived based on your previous academic experience. These courses should be taken as early as possible in the program.
- BUS 501 Financial Accounting
- BUS 503 Introductory Business Statistics
- BUS 504 Legal Environments
- BUS 505 Macro-Economics
- BUS 506 Micro-Economics
Degree and Program Requirements
Our MBA coursework is separated into the three categories described below. Students must complete a total of 37 graduate credits to receive the degree.
1. Core courses (27 credits) -
The core courses address communications, management, ethics, finance, information and technology, marketing, organizational development, and advanced economics. These nine courses enable you to develop substantive background and abilities in the functional areas of business.
- BUS 601 Executive Communications
- BUS 602 Accounting for Managers
- BUS 603 Organizational Development and Behavior
- BUS 604 Operations Management
- BUS 605 Statistics for Managers
- BUS 606 Strategic Marketing
- BUS 607 Corporate Finance
- BUS 616 Business Ethics
- BUS 618 Managing Information and Technology
2. Emphasis Courses (6 credits) -
The general MBA requires 6 elective credits. Students can choose two courses in the same perspective area to deepen their skills, or electives in multiple areas to tailor their learning to their particular interests and career goals.
BUS 703 – Intermediate Accounting I (Pre-req BUS 602 or equivalent)
BUS 705 – Intermediate Cost I (Pre-req BUS 602 or equivalent)
BUS 712 – Investments (Pre-req BUS 607)
BUS 715 – Financial Planning (Pre-req BUS 607 or equivalent or instructor consent)
Health Systems Leadership
BUS 785 – Health Policy and Law
BUS 788 – Principles of Health Insurance
BUS 751 – Market Research (Pre-req BUS 605 and BUS 606)
BUS 755 – Consumer Behavior (Pre-req BUS 606)
PSY 735 – Organizational Assessment
PSY 732 – Individual and Team Interventions
BUS 761 – Quality Improvement Methods (Pre-req BUS 503)
BUS 762 – Quality as a Business Strategy (Pre-req BUS 761)
BUS 792 – International Study Tour I (Pre-req – two 600-level business courses)
BUS 793 – International Study Tour II (Pre-req – BUS 792)
3. Integrating Capstone (4 credits) -
The integrating capstone experience is a two-course sequence designed to help you integrate and demonstrate your learning at the conclusion of your degree. These courses will teach understanding of complex business issues and problem solving for issues that extend across core course areas with a comprehensive, meaningful, and practical project.
- BUS 609A Strategic Management I
- BUS 609B Strategic Management II
- Tuition and Financial Aid
Attending graduate school is one of the best investments you will ever make in yourself and your future. While the benefits related to personal development and growth are priceless, you can also expect your MBA degree to expand your career options and enhance your earning power in the marketplace. Remember, completing your MBA is an investment in yourself and your career. Be sure to consider not only the total cost of your education, but think about how that total breaks down in terms of monthly costs, which can make your investment feel more manageable and affordable.
Financing Your Edgewood College MBA Degree
Graduate tuition for the 2016-17 academic year is $898 per credit. You can expect that cost to rise by approximately 3.5% per year in the future.
Most MBA students are working professionals who take courses part-time. A general MBA requires completion of 37 credits. An MBA in Health Systems Leadership requires completion of a total of 42 credits. Typically, a part-time student completes their MBA in 2.5-3 years.
Based on current tuition rates, the estimated total tuition cost of your Edgewood College MBA degree would be $33,226. An MBA in Health Systems leadership would be $37,716. If you compare this cost with other institutions in the Madison area, you’ll find that this total lies somewhere in the middle range.
Note – These estimates assume that you have satisfied all foundation requirements before enrolling in the program. If foundation courses are required, that will increase the total cost of the MBA degree and delay your completion. Please contact an admissions counselor for more details.
Graduate students are eligible for financial aid in the form of Federal Stafford Loans. Learn more about Stafford Loans, including eligibility requirements and application instructions.
Our admissions and financial aid counselors have worked with thousands of students who have questioned how they could afford to complete their graduate education. They will use their experience to suggest creative solutions for financing your MBA education. We work with students and organizations to manage tuition reimbursement plans, extend tuition discounts to various corporate partners in the region, offer third party billing and monthly payment plans, and work with veterans to maximize their available aid.
Don’t think you can do it? Edgewood College thinks you can!
- Admission Requirements
New students may enroll in the fall, spring, or summer semesters. Application deadlines:
Fall - August 1
Spring - December 1
Summer - May 1
To be considered for admission, applicants must provide the following:
- Completed graduate application. (The $30 application fee is waived for graduates of Edgewood College and for veterans.) This application is for graduate students who want to pursue a Master’s degree, certificate, or take courses as a non-degree student.
- Official transcripts reflecting evidence of completion of a baccalaureate or more advanced degree from a United States regionally accredited or equivalent post-secondary institution with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Please request that official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic credits received from a United States regionally accredited or equivalent post-secondary institution be sent to Edgewood College. The cumulative grade point average is computed on the highest degree held at the time of application.
- Two letters of recommendation from college or university professors, supervisors, and/or professional colleagues who can speak to the applicant’s potential for success in the Edgewood College MBA program. Letter of Recommendation Guidelines
- A written statement explaining what the applicant hopes to gain from her/his participation in the program, what he/she brings to the program, and how specific background experiences will aid in the applicant’s success as a student.
- A detailed resume evidencing at least 2 years of relevant professional experience.
- The Graduate Management Admission Test* (GMAT) with a score of at least 430 (or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) converted to comparable GMAT score).
The GMAT is NOT required if the applicant meets one of the following criteria:
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience AND a GPA of at least 3.25 overall or on the last 60 credits, OR
- Bachelor of Business Administration or Bachelor of Science in Business from Edgewood College AND a GPA overall or on the last 60 credits of at least 3.25, OR
- Current, active military or former military personnel, or veteran, honorably discharged. Veterans are considered those who have served at least 180 days of active duty (not including training) or who have been injured and determined to have a disability before 180 days. (Does not include those who served the length of their term in the National Guard or Reserves without being activated at any time.)
The entirety of the application materials above are considered in evaluating candidates. However, preference will be given to applicants who meet A , B, or C above, or who score in the 40th percentile or better on the GMAT or GRE.
International Students may have additional admission requirements. Learn more.
Please submit items 2 through 6 to: Edgewood College, Attn: Admission Manager, 1255 Deming Way, Madison, WI 53717.
To register for the test, call 1-800-717-4628 (GMAT) or go online at www.MBA.com. Enter the name of the school and city.
The Madison test center is:
Pearson Professional Center
8517 Excelsior Drive
Madison, WI 53717
GMAT Fee Waiver - Applicants with financial need may qualify for a GMAT fee waiver. To be considered for a fee waiver, please complete the following by December 15, 2016:
- Complete a FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov
- Submit a statement of need to email@example.com. Please include the following information:
a. A description of your current financial situation, including any details about job or income changes, or other extenuating circumstances
b. A statement indicating the amount of any tuition reimbursement from your employer
For more information, please contact Edgewood Central at (608) 663-4300.
You may submit up to 12 semester hours of graduate credit for consideration of transfer to Edgewood College for application to a degree program. Approval of the respective department is required. To be considered for application to a degree program, a course must have been taken within the past five years. For more information about transfer credits, please contact your admissions counselor.