Undergraduate Music Education
The Music Education major is led by music faculty with doctoral degrees in music and music education who possess public and private-school teaching experience in the United States, Europe, and Latin America.
Why Edgewood College
There are many reasons to study music at Edgewood College!
- Travel! In March 2016, the Edgewood College Chamber Singers traveled to Quito, Ecuador as the first American collegiate choir to be invited to the International Sacred Music Festival, one of the most prestigious music festivals in South America. Dr. Beatriz Aguilar has taken music students to Mexico to research and observe traditional youth Huapango and wind bands that have the goal of preserving cultural identity through music in Queretaro and Oaxaca. While in Mexico and in the US, the groups have also explored immigration issues.
- Get published! In 2015, nine honors students assisted with researching, editing, and writing portions of Women, Music, Culture: An Introduction, 2nd edition, an internationally selling textbook authored by Dr. Julie Dunbar. Edgewood College students have also had graphic design work and music notation published in faculty publications.
- Perform! Edgewood College has three choirs, a concert band, a jazz ensemble, two orchestras, a guitar ensemble, and many chamber music opportunities, all open to students of all majors.
- Thrive! No doubt about it, being in Madison, Wisconsin is a perk for music lovers. Edgewood College students have:
- Participated in a master class with jazz saxophonist Branford Marsalis.
- Attended a performance by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, then met the performers afterward at a private gathering.
- Performed at the Overture Center as part of a jazz combo.
- Attended the annual Pow Wow at Madison College.
- Performed in the Isthmus Jazz Festival.
- Attended Operas, Musicals, and Madison Symphony performances at the Overture Center.
- Danced at the World Music Festival at UW-Madison.
- Toured AR Editions and musicnotes.com, local sheet music companies.
Edgewood College offers you the opportunity to partner with many different professional services in the area for an internship. Some of our most recent internship placements include:
Some of our most recent internship placements include:
- Wisconsin Center for Music Education
- St. Mary’s Hospital
- Midwest Family Broadcasting
- Madison Symphony Orchestra
- Wisconsin Public Radio
- Ward-Brodt music
- Opera for the young
- Madison Metropolitan School District
Talent Scholarships are available for students planning to participate in one of Edgewood College's musical ensembles. Admission to the College and an audition are required.
Visit our website for more information.
Lucas-KoehlerThe Music Department at Edgewood College gave me an incredibly diverse perspective on music education. The skills and knowledge I acquired have allowed me not only to learn about music, but also how to make a living as a performer. I feel very lucky to have spent my college career at Edgewood College.Lucas Koehler '10, Freelance Bassist