How Does Online Learning Work?
Courses in the Higher Education and Leadership Studies are fully online, including synchronous meetings in addition to asynchronous work, within the Blackboard learning management system or other web sites to deliver content. Course content include a variety of media including video, text, assessments, projects, and discussion forums.
Online Learning at Edgewood College
Blackboard, Edgewood’s learning platform, creates an easy-to-uses environment that allows you to meet the learning outcomes in every course. Web Ex, the video conferencing service, promotes group or 1:1 conversation at a distance. Within Blackboard, you can expect the follow types of resources:
- Recorded lectures from instructors from their office or in the field
- Synchronous (real-time) sessions where you engage with the instructor and/or fellow students via Web Ex
- Videos from online sources
- Podcast recordings of the instructor or recommended experts, or other narrated presentations
- Audio recordings from online sources
- Peer-reviewed research, articles, and journals
- Blog posts
- Online articles
- Projects completed individually or as part of a team
- Written, video, or audio assignments
Learning in an online environment requires a certain level of independence, motivation, and time management. Online learning allows you to balance coursework against your personal and professional life.
You should expect to invest about 10-12 hours of coursework each week, in addition to the required synchronous meetings.
Minimal technology is required to access our courses. Some courses may require additional software to complete assignments and collaborate with classmates. In additional to reliable Internet access, students need:
- A computer (laptop or desktop)
- Web Camera
If you do not have reliable internet at your home, you may want to research public locations where you will be able to use the internet. Suggestions include public library, public coffee shops or restaurants (Starbucks, McDonald’s, and Panera Bread for example).