Training Opportunities for Graduate Students
Personal Counseling Services accepts two practicum students each academic year. Typically placements are solidified in the spring of each year and begin the following Fall. Please contact Dr. Megan Cobb-Sheehan at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Current doctoral or masters-level students in counseling or clinical psychology
- Must have successfully completed coursework in counseling skills, counseling theories, and ethics in counseling
- Able to commit at least 15 hours a week to practicum position
- Provide individual counseling to diverse students with a range of presenting concerns (estimated 10 hours weekly)
- Co-facilitate a support or interpersonal process group
- Participate in bi-weekly trainings on a range of topics
- Provide outreach presentations and information about PCS to the college community
- “Community-feel” of being on a small college campus, including chances to regularly consult with offices outside of PCS
Practicum students will be supervised by a licensed psychologist for one hour each week. Ongoing consultation regarding cases is also strongly encouraged. Practicum students will also participate in weekly case consultation meetings and bi-weekly trainings.
Application requirements (to be submitted via email to email@example.com):
- Current vita
- Cover letter describing your clinical experience and interest in Personal Counseling Services
- Graduate transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Names and contact information of 2 references (e.g., program faculty, former practicum supervisors)