Graduate Assistant - Evening Reference/Interlibrary Loan Assistant
Description of Job
Edgewood College’s Oscar Rennebohm Library has graduate assistant positions available for Masters candidates in Library Science as an Evening Reference/Interlibrary Loan Assistant. Primary hours for the 20-hour per week position are Monday through Friday mostly evenings, Saturday 9am-5pm, and Sunday evenings (some flexibility may be possible). Employment begins in August 2020.
See testimonials from previous graduate assistants at https://library.edgewood.edu/graduate-assistant-testimonials
Edgewood College is a Liberal Arts College with FTE enrollment of around 2,000 students. The College offers nine master’s degrees, a doctorate in education and nursing, and special programs for undergraduate returning adult students. Please see http://www.edgewood.edu for more information about the College and http://library.edgewood.edu for information about the library.
Primarily responsible for providing customized information services (ready reference, point-of-use-instruction, on-line questions, scheduled research consultation), supervising student assistants, and closing the library 2-3 evenings a week. Help with interlibrary loan services, assist in the design of handouts, online instruction, assistance with library’s reference webpages, and other supplementary materials that help students learn about information resources, troubleshoot electronic hardware and software in public service areas (refer more complex problems to the appropriate computer services staff member). Additional special projects will be assigned based on candidate interest, knowledge, & experience.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited Library and Information Studies program
- Able to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Possess excellent problem solving, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Exhibit excellent communication skills, and a strong, proactive service orientation
- Understand user comfort levels with technology and employ teaching concepts related to the adult learner
- Highly flexible with ability to thrive in a fast-paced and continually changing environment.
- Able to troubleshoot computers and/or software applications
- Familiar with online circulation and catalog systems (Experience with Innovative system is a plus.)
- Familiar with Interlibrary loan ( Experience with ILLiad and OCLC WorldShare Interlibrary Loan a plus)
- Experience with or desire to learn screencasting applications (Captivate, Camtasia, Jing, etc.)
- Fun with a good sense of humor.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send letter of application, resume, and name, address, phone number, and email address of three references to:
Human Resources – GALB
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer