Human Resources Generalist
Description of Job
Edgewood College is seeking an entry level Human Resources Generalist. The HR Generalist serves as first point of contact for general HR related questions and supports the Human Resources department in the following areas: benefits administration, onboarding, recruitment, Human Resources Information System (HRIS) and personnel records management.
Student Employment Program Administration
- Oversee the approval and posting of student employment work/study positions.
- Maintain and oversee the student employee timekeeping and payroll administration system, processing set-up, coordinating payroll processing, and providing the necessary permissions to student employees and their supervisors for timekeeping and reporting.
- Directly supervise students employed within the Human Resources Office, including their selection, orientation, training, scheduling and performance management.
- Conduct Orientation for Student employees & supervisors. In collaboration with HR Specialist, coordinate Annual Student Employment Recognition Week, proposing a budget, detailing the week’s activities, and enlisting staff and students to assist with events.
In collaboration with the HR Specialist – Benefits:
- Introduce the College’s Benefit Plan to candidates; complete New Employee Benefit Orientations ensuring process imparts knowledge required to make informed benefit decisions
- Process benefit enrollments, changes, and terminations with providers; ensure correct benefit deductions and cutoffs are inputted to payroll system and updated as needed; work with Business Office partners to make necessary corrections/adjustments.
- Process monthly provider billings and uploads, maintain enrollment data; investigate and resolve all discrepancies as part of the monthly audit process.
- Process per payroll employee HSA contributions and quarterly College contributions to employee HSAs.
- Prepare and review Disposition of Benefits communication with departing employees
- Assist in the administration of the Tuition Remission benefit
- Complete Benefit Surveys
General Human Resources
- Respond to general HR inquiries about benefits, payroll, and employment verification; triage as appropriate to other staff or departments;
- Process background checks on new faculty and staff
- Complete employment verifications and prepare unemployment wage requests.
- Onboard new hires (ensuring proper paperwork is complete, tracking and retaining new hire paperwork, facilitating background checks, benefit enrollment, etc.)
- Administer online Title IX and HR related trainings
- Administer exit interviews and collect/coordinate exit survey data for analysis
- File and maintain confidential personnel and other HR records
- Assists the Director of Human Resources with projects and correspondence as requested
- Other duties as assigned
HR Office Administration
- Manage expenses and process monthly statement of college-issued bankcard for HR Director’s approval.
- Administer Motor Vehicle Record periodic checks per guidelines on employee and student drivers of college assigned motor vehicles.
- Assist with organizing meetings and materials for training groups/task forces as assigned, including room accommodations and dining services.
- Order department supplies through contracted vendors such as Staples and Econoprint.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required -OR- Associate’s Degree required
- 1 to 2 years of successful HR Generalist or Coordinator experience required
- Higher Education experience is a plus.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail and production of quality work products in a fast-paced and customer-service focused environment
- Maintain a consistently high level of professionalism and regard for the utmost of confidentiality
- Excellent customer service skills required in a high-volume/high contact environment with the ability to maintain composure and facilitate resolution of difficult situations
- Ability to collaborate with a broad range of departments/offices within Edgewood College as well as with students, faculty and staff
- Work independently, prioritize tasks, and handle assignments efficiently
- Excellent grammar and business writing skills
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate multiple projects and/or tasks and responsibilities
Specialized Technology Skills:
- SharePoint 365 experience
- Experience with Jenzabar, Kronos (or similar timekeeping system)
- Any specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, training, and preventive labor relations, welcomed
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - HRGN
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer