Professional Advisor – Undergraduate Education and Business Majors/Minors
Description of Job
Provide student academic advising for undergraduate Education and Business majors and minors working on an even time split between the two Schools. The professional advisor is responsible for coordinating a load of traditional and nontraditional undergraduate students.
- Oversee and coordinate advising for undergraduate students interested in Education and Business.
- Provide advising and some coordination support for student Advising and Registration Days (AR and STAR Days).
- Work with the Deans of the School of Business and Education to provide advising support for other populations of students when general advising assistance is needed.
- Work with Dean of the School of Education and the Director of Undergraduate Advising to evaluate the needs of students.
- Provide support to the Schools of Education and Business in areas such as (but is not limited to)
- Regularly conferring with School of Education and School of Business faculty and administrative staff.
- Serving as main contact between the School of Education, School of Business and the Admissions Office, Career Services and those members of the Edgewood College community, who work with Education and Business majors and minors, to make students’ transitions smooth and successful.
- Attending School of Education and School of Business meetings to contribute to issues related to the admissions process, advising, curriculum, and student teaching.
- Assist with advisor training when appropriate, and with revisions of advisor materials.
- Responsible for the development and updating of the position manual including but not limited to procedures for the various projects and processes that this position oversees as well as an administrative calendar.
- Other duties, as assigned by the Deans including service to the college community.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Bachelor degree required; Masters degree in higher education or student services desired, or equivalent experience (minimum of 2 years).
- Previous academic advising experience in Higher Education preferred.
- Previous PK-12 teaching experience preferred.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills, including ability to develop rapport with traditional aged undergraduates and to work with faculty.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills to include handling multiple projects, meeting deadlines, attentiveness to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with research and theory in the fields of higher education and student development desirable.
- Willingness to learn computer applications to effectively enhance advising practices.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - PAEB
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer