Alumni Relations Director
Description of Job
The Alumni Relations Director will participate as a valued member of the Advancement Office, reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement. The Alumni Relations Director will provide vision, strategy, and leadership to develop, implement, manage, and evaluate a comprehensive alumni relations outreach program to engage more than 17,000 alumni in greater Madison and beyond. The position will also serve to develop, cultivate, and steward alumni relationships through volunteerism and philanthropy. This individual will represent the College at various public events to foster visibility and alumni engagement. The Director will have a keen interest in and appreciation for the values and mission of Edgewood College. Occasional travel and occasional weekend and evening activities are required.
- Plan and implement a strategic program of communications to advance alumni program objectives through a multichannel approach of electronic and print media, special events, personal visits, alumni website, and social media while assuring appropriate messaging, style, quality, content, and presentation.
- Direct and lead all aspects of alumni events including the Annual Alumni Awards, Reunions, and other college related events.
- Manage the Alumni Board as a member of the Board’s Executive Committee leading identification of board goals, meeting planning, and board recruitment.
- Develop partnerships with staff, faculty, and external constituents to further engage alumni, advance alumni as a primary constituent segment, and serve as a spokesperson for more than 17,000 alumni.
- Develop and implement efforts to raise the profile and visibility of the College’s graduates.
- Represent the College at various internal and external events to foster visibility and alumni engagement.
- Establish relationships and coordinate strategies with various departments in the College to assist in engaging specific alumni groups.
Development & Philanthropic Engagement
- Create and sustain a working partnership with colleagues in annual giving and development to allow for the appropriate level of coordination and collaboration in efforts to increase alumni giving participation.
- Cultivate, develop, and steward relationships with alumni who support the College through volunteerism and financial support.
- Strategize with Advancement staff to facilitate moves management process for alumni benefactors.
- Provide exceptional customer service by immediately addressing alumni concerns, needs, and requests, and effectively responding to alumni questions
- Sustain current best practices in alumni programs overall and in the use of technology specifically for alumni engagement.
- Plan and manage individual annual budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Baccalaureate degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of three years’ experience in communications, events, marketing, fundraising, and/or external relations, preferably within the context of a higher education institution or non-profit organization. Other experience deemed equivalent and relevant by the Vice President for Institutional Advancement.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent project management, verbal, written, and relationship building skills including interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while giving appropriate attention to detail.
- Personal characteristics associated with successful alumni relations professionals, including a vigorous work ethic, sound judgement, solid integrity, demonstrated initiative, creativity, appropriate professional attitude, and personality to work effectively with colleagues, College representatives and partners, and senior College and volunteer leaders.
Required Technical Skills
- Familiarity with social networking as a conduit for constituent engagement.
- Experience and proficiency with development software, Raisers Edge NXT preferred.
Edgewood College, a Catholic college sponsored by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence - the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values - truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources –ALRS
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer