Coordinator for Student Engagement and Leadership
Description of Job
The Coordinator for Student Engagement and Leadership is a vital role on the Office of Student Inclusion and Involvement Leadership Team. Under the leadership of the Associate Director of Student Life, this role is primarily responsible for the leadership and student engagement areas; including on student organizations, on and off-campus events and programming at Edgewood College.
The purpose of the Coordinator for Student Engagement and Leadership position is to work in partnership with the Coordinator for Multicultural Initiatives, to coordinate and promote a diverse variety of campus events and student leadership opportunities to promote student learning, growth and development outside of the classroom.
The Office of Student Inclusion and Involvement (OSII) serves as a primary source from social, leadership, co-curricular, and multicultural campus opportunities for all Edgewood College students. We cultivate a variety of opportunities for campus engagement that create a well-rounded student experience and works to enhance the academic mission of Edgewood College. Our goal is to create a community that recognizes challenges and transforms their individual attitudes towards difference, while learning to celebrate the rich contributions of all cultures, and graduate prepared to lead in a global society.
Additional job functions will include constituency-based support, advocacy, and outreach to underrepresented students and attending OSII sponsored major events and programs.
This is a 12-month position; evening and weekend hours are required, depending on programs and events.
- Coordinate, manage, and implement a diverse range of activities and events for all students.
- Oversee and collaborate on Student Life signature events such as: Campus Fest Student Involvement Fair, Spring Welcome Back week and Winter Frost Ball.
- Plan and advise Fall and Spring Welcome Week events
- Support Student Life event planning and facilitation for Heritage Month celebrations and initiatives
- Facilitate student organization leadership training for student leaders and advisors
- Manage & implement Student Engagement Platform (Presence) for student organizations and OSII events
- Facilitate student organization registration and re-recognition process
- Provide oversight and consultations to support student organizations in facilitating healthy organizations and transitions from year to year
Student Leadership Development
- Recruit, train, and supervise OSII Programming Ambassadors (campus programming board)
- Lead weekly OSII Programmer planning meeting and one-on-one meetings with programmers to foster individualized growth
- Train and provide developmental supervision for Commuter Assistant and coordinate commuter student initiatives
- Advise the Commuter Student Association
- Recruit, train, and supervise Orientation Leadership Team to foster an inclusive and welcoming first-year experience
Student Advocacy and Support
- Actively build relationships/mentorships with students, including spending time in the office, the Student Resource Center, various student spaces and attending student events.
- Attend all OSII Leadership Team meetings and retreats.
- Attend OSII Programmers Staff Meeting
- Complete End of Year Report focusing on student organizations and campus heritage programming.
- Serve as member College committees as needed
- Participate in Commencement, College Assemblies, Admissions functions and other College activities as needed
- Actively support Mission of Edgewood College and the Division of Student Development
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Master’s degree (preferred) or bachelor’s degree and related combination of experience in student affairs, higher education, counseling, or other related fields focused on college student development
- Two years of professional experience, graduate work included, in college student affairs or related field
- Experience organizing and facilitating large-scale programming
- Demonstrated experience working with underrepresented students, specifically students of color, first generation, low-income, undocumented, and LGBTQ+ students
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate competency skills in the areas of Student Involvement including event planning, diversity and inclusion, leadership development, orientation, and student development theory
- Strong organizational ability, interpersonal skills, and high aptitude in oral and written communications
- Ability to work within a dynamic environment and a proven competence in managing multiple tasks and competing priorities
- Proactive and creative approach to problem solving and experience providing crisis intervention and referrals to appropriate campus and community resources
- Ability to gather, track and interpret data as it relates to programming and events to better assess the impact on students served and make recommendations for improvement
- Familiarity with and ability to uphold FERPA regulations when working with students and confidential records
- Supervision of student staff and/or advising of student leaders
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - CRSE
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer