Adjunct Instructor – Special Education and Literacy Education
Description of Job
Edgewood College seeks adjunct instructors to teach graduate level courses for teaching licensure and Master’s Degree programs in the School of Education for adult learners: Special Education and Literacy Education. Preferred candidates will have both theoretical and practical expertise in the following areas: Special Education K-12, Reading, Literacy Development, and Applied Linguistics. Preference will be given to candidates who have expertise in two areas, and have or are willing to learn blended/online teaching.
Adjunct instructors are responsible for course planning and instruction in classroom or other settings such as on-line and/or blended formats. Duties include a flexible schedule of lecture that may include teaching during days, evenings and weekends. In addition, adjunct faculty are responsible for student evaluation, and submission of required paperwork related to instruction within expected timelines.
- Plan and teach courses, and facilitate student learning in assigned classes according to the College’s core values
- Provide a course syllabus, which includes course requirements and grading criteria.
- Maintain student attendance and grading records according to College policy
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to provide consistent, effective learning and support for students.
- Monitor, assess, and support student performance, and advise students on academic issues as needed.
- Keep current in research and practice related to program content
- Maintain confidentiality relating to student matters.
- Comply with college policies and guidelines.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Master’s Degree in the content area required, Ph.D. preferred
- Teaching experience in K-12 education required
- Successful teaching in higher education setting preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to plan for and deliver quality instruction
- Ability to manage the classroom effectively
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of technology, electronic learning systems, and online instruction
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - SELE
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer