Lecturer – Computing and Information Science
Description of Job
The Computing & Information Sciences (CIS) Department in the School of Liberal Arts, Education, and the Sciences at Edgewood College invites applications for a full-time Lecturer position. This is a one-year faculty position for the 2021-2022 academic year, with the possibility of renewal. Should this position be converted to a tenure-track position, the individual appointed to this position would be invited to apply.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in an educational and work environment and must be willing to contribute to the College’s strategic plan of inclusion.
The individual appointed to this position will teach undergraduate level courses in a traditional, semester-based format. Faculty in CIS, including Lecturers, also mentor student research, and engage in service to the Department and the College. CIS faculty members are expected to contribute to the growth of the computing and information sciences program through appropriate service activities in community outreach, industrial interaction, and academic governance. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- MS, ABD, or earned doctorate in Computer Science, or Computer Information Systems, or a related discipline. PhD preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate technology into the classroom experience.
- Experience working with undergraduates in the classroom.
- Experience teaching in an online or hybrid learning environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with department peers and others on campus.
Required Knowledge and Skills
The following are required for the position: ability to teach and interest in teaching at the undergraduate level, including supervision of student projects and development of curricula; experience in the development of theory or methods for systems development, and/or software engineering including acquisition, processing, and application of relevant technologies; history of successful leadership in developing web enabled, object oriented systems, employing project management standards and Agile Frameworks.
Industry and/or academic experience in two or more of the following areas:
- Object Oriented Programming
- Data Science and Analytics
- Web development with database backend. Mobile Development.
- Project management (with experience using PMI standards and Agile Frameworks)
- Networking and Cybersecurity
Additionally, the successful candidate must demonstrate:
- Experience working with a diverse learning population
- Interest and experience in curriculum design and innovative use of technology in education
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
A completed application will consist of:
- a letter of application that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests, and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists)
Finalists for this position will be required to arrange for three letters of reference to be sent to the search committee. The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to applications received no later than March 31, 2021. Early response is encouraged.
To apply: Send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, transcript, and references to:
Human Resources – LCTC
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer